The PHYS 450/PHSC 420 project will take place in Barrow, Alaska -- the northernmost city in the United States. Some fast facts about Barrow:
- With a population of 4,212, Barrow has a total area of about 21 square miles.
- Barrow is located 320 miles north of the Arctic Circle.
- Its cold, dry climate sees below-freezing temperatures 245 days a year.
- Barrow is surrounded on three sides by the Arctic Ocean.
- The city is a desert and averages less than 30 inches of snow a year.
- It is one of the cloudiest places on earth -- the city is completely overcast approximately 50% of the year.
- The average high temperature is 17 degrees Fahrenheit with a record high of 79 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The average low temperature is 6 degrees Fahrenheit with a record low of -56 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The average high temperature in March is -6 degrees Fahrenheit while the average low is -19 degrees Fahrenheit.