Ideas for Getting Involved
Attend campus sustainability events
Some past SustainABILITY events have included:
- SustainABILITY movie series, educating and inspiring others to make more sustainable choices
- Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen:Living with Conviction in Challenging Times.
- Joel Salatin, operator of Polyface Farms and a noted sustainable farmer, author, and has appeared in the recent documentaries Fresh and Food, Inc.
- Fresh, a 2009 independent movie that celebrates the farmers, thinkers, and business people across America who are reinventing the food system.
- Radford University President Penelope W. Kyle signed the American College and University’s President’s Climate Commitment.
Volunteer your time, efforts, and/or money to something that you are passionate about. You may even be able to get help paying for school or use paid leave benefits. Where you spend your time, efforts, and money speak volumes about who you are and what you care about. Where do you spend yours? Find out more about AmeriCorps, Serve.gov, or the Student Conservation Association.
The Sustainable Endowment Institute provides information for students, faculty, alumni & more
Submit your ideas, questions, comments, or share your green story with us. Have you started carpooling? What about recycling at home? Let us know.
What can students do?
Take a class (PDF)
Learn more about the dining services sustainability initiatives
Back to school green shopping list (PDF)
Find out great ways to get yourself ready for school and help save the planet at the same time.
Around your room (PDF)
- use power strips (so electronics can be easily shut down or unplugged while not in use or on break)
- use reusable shopping bags (recommend three) when shopping and reusable bottles for your beverages
- shop local, start downtown; buy items with high recycled content in them (paper, clothes, furniture)
- look for organic (see Publications), fair-trade, or other environmentally-sensitive certifications for your purchases (clothes, sheets, cleaning supplies/detergent)
- eat a low carbon diet (PDF); see how your dining choices affect the environment (calculator [PDF])
- use CFLs for lamps (check out our listing of Resources) and turn off the lights (PDF)
- reduce your water usage by shutting off the water while brushing your teeth and taking shorter showers
- ride your bicycle - there are three bike fixit stations throughout campus (the fixit includes all the tools necessary to perform basic reparis and maintenance)
- use the Radford Transit instead of driving or try out the Enterprise Carshare
- make sure the energy management settings (PDF) are activated on your computer and use the paper saving guidelines (PDF)
Get involved with an on-campus organization
- RU Involved includes information about campus events & organizations
- Some campus groups of interest might include: