Persons interested in graduate coursework in visual impairment have several options here at Radford University.
- Add-on Endorsement in Visual Impairment: This program is for teachers who already hold a license and would like to become certified to teach students with visual impairments and blindness. If you are a General Education Teacher additional coursework may be required.
- Initial Licensure in Visual Impairment: This program is for people who do not have a teaching license. It includes a minimum of 33 hours of coursework and internship.
- Masters in Special Education with a concentration in Visual Impairment & Blindness: This program is for individuals interested in a Masters degree in Special Education with a focus on Visual Impairments. The focus on VI is accomplished by using your electives to take course included in the VI Licensure program. The Masters degree alone does not include a license or endorsement to teach students with visual impairments.
All individuals who wish to take one or more courses in severe disabilities must apply to both the Severe Disabilities Consortium and the Graduate College. Please begin the application process as soon as possible. It often takes at least 4-6 weeks for the process and you must be accepted and have an ID number before you can be registered for classes. You have two contact persons at the College of Graduate and Professional Studies:
(1) Rebecca Conner, Advising Coordinator for Non-degree Seeking Students
Rebecca can help you with your application and what degree seeking status to choose, and other information you need as a new graduate student and more.
(2) Sharon Gunter, Coordinator of Graduate Admissions for Degree-seeking Students
Sharon makes sure that all parts of your application are complete and processes you for admission.
Preston Hall, Room 220, PO Box 6928, Radford, VA 24142
Application to the Consortium involves submission of the Application Form for Participation and three essays; your updated, detailed resume; and a telephone or face-to-face interview. Please send these materials to:
Dr. Elizabeth Altieri, SD Program Coordinator
School of Teacher Education and Leadership
Box 7006 Radford VA 24142