- To promote communication and cooperation among all individuals who have a special interest in teaching Appalachian literature and culture.
- To present programs and special projects on this subject at NCTE conventions.
- To encourage the development of research, experimentation and investigation of effective teaching and scholarship in Appalachian literature and culture.
- To promote writing of articles and publication devoted to the topic.
- To integrate the efforts of those with an interest in the subject.
- More visibility for Appalachian Studies in one of the world's largest professional organizations.
- Guaranteed session on Appalachian Literature and Culture at the annual NCTE meetings.
- Recognition in NCTE publicity and mailings.
- A journal devoted to Appalachian Literature and Culture: ALCA-Lines.
- Enhancement of a sense of community among those of like interests.
An Affiliate of the National Council of Teachers of English