College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
The Advertising concentration prepares students for positions in the field of advertising by providing instruction in theoretical, practical and aesthetic elements in the profession.
Advertising Concentration (36 hours)
Core courses: Students in the School of Communication must complete these two courses with a grade of "C" or higher.
- COMS 130. Introduction to Communication
- COMS 330. Communication Theory
Required Courses (30 hours)
- COMS 173. Introduction to Advertising & IMC
- COMS 223. Advertising Copywriting-Requires COMS 173 or permission of instructor; Must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
- COMS 226. Digital Imaging
- COMS 231. Research Methods in Communication-Requires COMS 130 or permission of instructor.
- COMS 273. Advertising Analysis-Requires COMS 173.
- COMS 373. Advertising Media Planning-Requires COMS 130, COMS 273, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 400. Media Law and Ethics-Requires COMS 130 and COMS 330, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 473. Advertising Production-Requires COMS 130, COMS 226, COMS 273, and COMS 330, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 483. Advertising Campaigns-Requires COMS 130, 173, 223, 226, 231, 273, 300, 373 and 473 or permission of the instructor.
- COMS 499. Internship*
* Prerequisites: COMS 130, COMS 330 plus any one of the following; COMS 235, COMS 104, COMS 223, COMS 247, or permission of instructor; 75 hours of college credit completed and in good academic standing with a minimum of 2.0 GPA in the major. The instructor must approve a written internship proposal, and a signed formal agreement with the internship site supervisor must be on file in the Registrar's Office and the School of Communication.
Electives - Choose six (6) credit hours of electives from School of Communication Courses at the 300-400 level.