College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Dr. Stephen Owen
Professor of Criminal Justice
- Ph.D., University of Missouri - St. Louis
- M.A., University of Missouri - St. Louis
- B.S., Southeast Missouri State University
Dr. Owen joined the Radford University faculty in 2000.
Fall 2017 Schedule
- CRJU-100, Introduction to Criminal Justice, 11:00-12:15 TR, CHBS-3013
- CRJU-415, Emergency Management, 2:00-3:15 TR, CHBS-3013
Office Hours: 1:15-1:45 Tuesday/Thursday, 3:30-4:00 Tuesday/Thursday, and by appointment
Dr. Owen’s primary areas of interest include emergency management, criminal justice education, institutional corrections, and criminal justice policy. In his spare time, Dr. Owen is a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals (2011 World Series Champs!) and otherwise occupies his time with classic TV, movies, and books.
Recent Professional Activities
Dr. Owen was the 2015 recipient of the College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences Distinguished Teaching Award, the 2012 recipient of the Radford University Distinguished Creative Scholar Award and the 2010 recipient of the Radford University Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Owen is the author of Owen, Fradella, Burke, and Joplin’s Foundations of Criminal Justice (2015, Oxford University Press) and over 60 book chapters, articles, proceedings, encyclopedia entries, and reviews. Dr. Owen has also completed numerous professional trainings in emergency management (including advanced Incident Command System, Homeland Security Exercise Evaluation Program, the FEMA Professional Development Series and Professional Continuity Practitioner, and more) and he and his emergency management students regularly participate with the Office of Emergency Preparedness in the annual campus emergency exercise. Additional information about professional activities is available on Dr. Owen's vita.