Scholarships are available to help defray the cost of summer internships. Dr. William Hrezo has copies of the application form.
Internships allow students to integrate concepts developed in classroom experiences and readings with their practice in public and private agencies and organizations. Participation in this program will expose students to the qualifications and requirements of various public and private agencies and give them experience to meet those requirements. The major goals of this course are for students to:
- Apply the theory and methods learned in their courses to agencies in which they are placed and make contributions to that agency or organization.
- Under the communications, decision-making and problem-solving mechanisms used by agencies in providing services for their clients.
- Observe the styles used by staff members in interacting with clients and other staff members.
- Better understand the pressures facing those who 'practice' politics or public policy.
- Develop their critical thinking and oral written communication skills.
National Government Opportunities
- Robb U.S. Senate Internships
Available to juniors or seniors with a 2.5 GPA who are legal residents of Virginia. You must register for academic credit. There is a stipend. Internships are available in the Summer, Spring or Fall.
- The U.S. Marshals Service
Accepts interns every semester in its office of Congressional Affairs located in Arlington, Virginia. The Congressional Affairs Team coordinates the congressional and legislative agendas for the Service including congressional briefings, hearings, correspondence, and constituent inquiries.
- The National Association for Latino and Appointed Officials Educational Fund
(NALEO) works with the Ford Motor Company and the Shell Oil Company to provide internship opportunities. NALEO selects 6 Latino college students to participate in a program designed to give them experience with the public policy process in Congress. Information is available on campus from the Office of Multicultural Services in Stuart Hall.
- EPA Summer Opportunities for Students
The site provides a central web portal through which students may enter to learn about EPA programs and offices and summer employment opportunities. Having a central portal will make it easier for students to find information about specific areas in which they would like to work. They also will be able to submit a job application directly to the EPA location that has a vacancy. Find out more information on these opportunities.
- The Department of Homeland Security