Here are some of the many reasons why we think you should consider being a Geology major and obtaining your B.S. degree in geology from the Department of Geology:
- All of our full-time teaching faculty have their terminal degrees (Ph.D.) and all teach their own classes (as opposed to some bigger Ph.D.-granting universities where your class may be taught by a Graduate Assistant).
- A number of our teaching faculty have won national-level and regional-level awards for their dedication to and excellence in teaching and scholarship - 'you' get the benefits of not only a top-notch classroom learning environment with these professors but also by their helping you as your faculty advisers.
- Our location in the Valley and Ridge in the Virginia Appalachian mountains offers our students easy access to a variety of geologic terrains via our many class-related field-trips. We are also fortunate to be so close to the New River and its geologic features for study and research.
- We have a track-record of very high job-placement rates among our graduates. Over the past several years, studies conducted by the RU Office of Institutional Research indicate that Geology graduates from RU have had a placement rate in excess of 90% following graduation.
- Our labs have modern, state-of-the-art instrumentation and field gear in addition to computer facilities with a variety of geologic software to help ensure that you will be ready for employment or graduate school following your graduating from the Department of Geology at RU.
- We have a extensive network of alumni who are ready to help you network with professionals in industry and graduate schools for advancing your career.
- We also have had a very successful track-record of helping find Summer Internships for our majors with a variety of national and international professional organizations, federal and state agencies and the industry.
- We offer financial-aid to our majors in the form of Geology Work Study positions that are paid positions for work that you do in helping run our courses and labs - such an experience is always a valuable addition to your resume while in college!