Dean, College of Visual and Performing Arts
The College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) of Radford University seeks a dynamic leader with a strong background in the arts. Comprising theatre, music, dance, fashion, interior design, graphic design and the visual arts, the mission of the College is to:
- Create an artistic community of practice.
- Expose others to the creative process.
- Engage in interdisciplinary and international collaboration.
- Lead this institution to a position of cultural prominence.
To fulfill this mission, the Dean of the college will have a vision for the role of the arts in the university and surrounding communities now and in the future. The ideal candidate possesses experience and established skills for fundraising and promoting the needs of the college to the university administration and harnessing the creative energies and strengths of our multi-talented faculty and students. Our community of artists, designers, educators, performers, and scholars is committed to challenging students intellectually, creatively, and professionally, while encouraging them to explore and develop their individual talents for use as part of a lifelong process of learning and creative service to society. To achieve these goals, the College of Visual and Performing Arts produces and brings the highest level of art, teaching, and scholarship to our community in the form of concerts, art exhibitions and installations, performances, publications, and emerging media. Performances and exhibitions take place in five performance venues and multiple gallery spaces, located within the College and across campus.
The Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) reports directly to the Provost and works closely with a group of senior academic administrators who are exceptionally dedicated to the university's and to each other’s success. Radford University deans are highly collaborative and mutually supportive, working to ensure that the whole of the institution exceeds the sum of its considerable parts.
The Dean is expected to exercise leadership, vision and strategic thinking in academic planning, faculty recruitment, and performance assessment; the development of opportunities for research, scholarly and creative activities; program review and all aspects of accreditation for each of the programs. The Dean is responsible for leading the college staff and department chairs in managing the college's fiscal resources and personnel; for recruiting, evaluating and retaining a well-qualified faculty and staff; and for developing effective student recruitment and retention programs. The Dean is expected to lead department chairs and faculty in fundraising efforts to support these goals and programs.
The successful candidate will drive the existing momentum for enhancing the College’s international, service, performance, and fundraising profiles.Addressing that potential will require a dean with proven leadership and management skills. A strong leader of faculty, staff, and students, as well as a manager of programs, is absolutely required. Evidence of experience in interacting with the diverse arts included in the college, and a track record of successful engagement with internal and external constituencies, especially in terms of both corporate sponsorships and individual philanthropy- are necessary. A terminal degree in the individual’s discipline is required. The successful candidate will be committed to working with a diverse population of faculty and students in a setting that encourages exploration of civic and scholarly connections across the campus in all students’ academic and creative work. The university hosts an annual performance series led by the Dean that brings in exceptional, nationally and internationally known theatrical, musical and dance companies.
Radford University is a co-educational, state-supported university with 10,000 students located in a city of 15,000 in the scenic highlands of southwestern Virginia, approximately 40 miles southwest of Roanoke.
- An earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree in the arts
- A record of university teaching, scholarly and creative activity that satisfies eligibility of appointment to the rank of tenured full professor in an academic program in the College
- Demonstrated success in administrative leadership and rising levels of responsibility at the level of chair or above, including management of fiscal and personnel resources, recruitment, evaluation, and retention of a well-qualified faculty and staff, academic programs evaluation and review
- A strong commitment to programs for student advisement, recruitment, and retention
- Collaborative management style and demonstrated success in engaging in diverse constituent groups in strategic initiatives and academic planning
- Successful experience with arts accreditation
- Ability to manage fiscal resources effectively
- Experience with college/university fundraising
- A commitment to and/or expertise in educating a diverse student population
- A passionate advocacy for research and creative activity in the arts
- Experience with booking and coordinating acts for the annual University Performance Series
The Desired Candidate will have:
- Experience in working with the various artistic constituencies of the college
- A dynamic educational vision for the arts that includes leadership and support for innovative curriculum development
- A distinguished record of professional achievement in the arts or arts related scholarship
- Experience in facilitating partnerships with local and regional arts organizations and agencies
- Knowledge of the operations of art museums and performing arts centers
For fullest consideration, application materials should be submitted by February 1, 2014, (including a cover letter and resume) should be submitted via email email@example.com.
Material that cannot be emailed may be sent to: Dr. William Kennan, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Radford University, 801 East Main Street, Radford University, Radford, VA 24142.
Radford University isan EOIM employer committed to diversity.
All new hires will be subject toE-Verify beginning June 1,2011. E-Verify is administered by the U. S. Department of Homeland Security, USCIS-Verification Division and the Social Security Administration and allowsparticipating employers to electronically verifyemployment eligibility.