College of Visual & Performing Arts
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Nicholas Umstead, M.F.A.
Painting, Drawing, Adjunct Faculty
BFA Radford University Painting
MFA Radford University Painting
I am an oil painter, collagist, illustrator and graphic artist. I teach art as a visual language that supersedes all spoken language and is not reliant on a specific tongue. I teach my students to analyze, translate, and communicate using this language. I believe it is important to be able to talk about works of art, to verbalize what one experiences from an artwork. In my classes we learn through guided classroom work combined with out-of-class projects. My current painting interest is in light as an agent of change and the discrepancy between photographic and painted information.