College of Visual & Performing Arts
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Shaun Whiteside, M.F.A.
Art Appreciation, Adjunct Assistant Professor
B.A., Christopher Newport University
M.F.A., Radford University
Shaun C. Whiteside works with acrylic paint in a style most influenced by Abstract Expressionism, with an emphasis on the metaphysical and emotional realm, rather than on optical reality. Using several layers of thin glazes, partially washed away, he creates oppressively dense atmospheric environments, with biomorphic, liquid shapes within them. Whiteside graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts from Christopher Newport University in 2007, and earned his Master of Fine Arts at Radford University in 2011. He has recently been awarded both a Best in Show at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art's "New Waves 2013" exhibition, as well as at the Peninsula Fine Arts Center's "2010 Biennial Exhibition." Whiteside was a recipient of a 2011-2012 VMFA Fellowship grant, and his works are in several private collections across Virginia.