College of Visual & Performing Arts
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
The Department of Dance provides a comprehensive pre-professional education for undergraduate dance majors in classical and contemporary dance; fosters an educational environment committed to dance as an autonomous and major art form realizing the many significant roles dance can play in world cultures; provides appropriate dance activities for the enrichment of the university, western Virginia, the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond; and encourages creative and technological innovations in dance. The department prepares students for careers, related careers and advanced professional studies in dance.
The department’s curriculum offers students study in four areas of dance: technique, theory, pedagogy and choreography. In addition, students may develop special interest in the related fields of technical theatre, therapy, and/ or somatics. Students may pursue a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science with Teacher Licensure in Dance Education, or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in performance. Course requirements (progress sheets) can be found in our Advising section.