Home About Us Advocacy Resources Behaviors of Concern Virginia Leadership Academy

Tips for Off-Campus Living


General Tips

  • Talk with prospective landlord and read the lease
  • Inspect premises and agreements in writing on the condition or the property to avoid any misunderstanding about damages when you move out. MAKE SURE YOUR LANDLORD GIVES YOU A DAMAGE INVENTORY OR INSPECTION CHECKLIST UPON MOVING IN.
  • Keep a copy of the lease and damage inventory.
  • Put your last name and first initial on your mailbox.
  • The landlord is responsible for removing snow and ice from sidewalks for apartments, but not rented houses.
  • If your apartment has a balcony, ask your landlord the maximum number of people and weight that can be on the balcony.
  • Anyone who brings an animal on to University property is required to immediately clean up any solid waste excrement which is deposited on campus grounds.
  • The Salvation Army will pick up any unwanted furniture for free. Call 540-382-1023 for more information.
  • Be wary of allowing strangers into your apartment for any reason. If they need to use the phone, get the number, dial it for them, and then take the phone to them at the door.
  • GET RENTER’S INSURANCE!! It is not expensive and can be rather comprehensive.
  • Create a videotape of your valuables. If anything were to be stolen, you have proof of ownership. Be sure to videotape the serial numbers.

If you are having a party

  • Inform your neighbors about the party the measures you have taken to keep it under control.
  • Consider parking arrangements.
  • Don’t invite more people than your house and bathroom facilities can reasonably accommodate.
  • Don’t invite people you think might cause problems.
  • You are responsible for not only your actions, but also the actions of your guests.
  • Party hosts or neighbors who are disturbed by disorderly activity should call the police for assistance.
  • You are held responsible if an under-aged person receives alcohol at your party.
  • If you serve alcohol to someone you are responsible if they leave your party inebriated and drive a vehicle.
  • Make sure you are complying with the noise ordinance.

If you are going home for break

  • Buy timers for lights; they are inexpensive and can be found at many local stores.
  • Put radios and TVs on timers as well.
  • Stop newspaper and mail delivery until you return. Seeing a full mailbox or a front porch full of newspapers is a sure sign no one is home.
  • If you live near a permanent neighbor whom you trust, ask them to keep an eye on your place while you are gone.
  • If you are in the area, stop by periodically to check on your apartment.
  • Take valuables with you.
  • Make sure all door and window locks are functioning properly. Make sure they are all locked before you leave.
  • Upon request, the Radford City Police will make random checks of unattended residences. Call 540-731-3624 for more information.