Home About Us Services Forms Students Parents and Visitors FAQs

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Frequently Asked Questions

I am a student and am deaf or hard of hearing.  How do I get services?  Who do I contact?

Students with documented disabilities can request reasonable academic, testing, and housing accommodations by registering with the Disability Resource Office.  Procedures for becoming a registered student in the DRO are available on the DRO web page.

Jerome Thomas is the Coordinator for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services in the Disability Resource Office.  He can be reached in person in the lower level of Tyler hall, suite 054, by phone at (540)831-1505, VP at (540)922-1176, or email at jthomas6@radford.edu.  Please call the DRO at (540)831-6350 to make an appointment.

What documentation do I need to provide to the DRO?

Documentation examples include audiograms, high school IEP’s or 504’s, and accommodation letters from a previous institution, among other documents.  See the Documentation Guidelines tab on the Disability Resource Office’s web page for more information.

I am Deaf and use sign language to communicate.  Can I request sign language interpreting services?

Yes.  Radford University is proud to employ top-notch sign language interpreting services for students and visitors who use sign language to communicate.

What are sign language interpreters? 

An American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter provides equal access to information. They also bridge the communication gap between hearing community and deaf community by conveying the purpose, thought, and spirit of the message in a consumers’ preferred mode of communication. The Professional Sign Language Interpreters here at Radford maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to the Professional Code of Ethics and Conduct as written by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.

I need a sign language interpreter for a club meeting, advisor meeting, and/or on-campus event.  How do I request one?

Interpreter Request forms can be found on the Important Forms and Documents tab on the DRO website.  Please pay close attention to the timeframes listed on each form.  Forms must be submitted to Jerome Thomas, D/HOH Coordinator in person, via email, or by fax to (540)831-6525.

I do not use sign language but am hard of hearing.  What services are available for me?

Individuals who are hard of hearing or have hearing loss may be eligible for

·         Note taking services

·         Assisted listening devices

·         Closed captioned/English subtitled media

·         Extended time on assessments

·         Pulse pen

·         Recording Devices

*Accommodations are individual to the student, and all students may not be eligible for all accommodations listed

I am a student at a remote campus location.  How can I request services?

Radford University works collaboratively with remote campus locations to provide the same academic and testing accommodations that you would receive on campus.  You will need to register with the DRO, provide documentation, participate in an interview, and submit a request for accommodations.  Each semester, when you register for new classes, you will need to submit a new request for accommodations.

I need to use a video phone to make calls.  Is one available on campus?  Who can use it?

The DRO has a video phone available for use.   We are located in the lower level of Tyler Hall, suite 054.  The number is 540-922-1176.  Please visit the DRO for more information.

I am a visitor to campus and need a sign language interpreter, assistive listening device, and/or closed captioned/English subtitled media.  How can I request these services?

Please contact the DRO at 540-831-6350 or VP 540-922-1176 in order to request services.  Please provide at least 2 business days’ notice for an interpreter Monday-Friday 8-5 and 5 business days’ notice for an interpreter for an evening or weekend event.

I will need a sign language interpreter for commencement.  How can I request services?

Please see the disabilities services form located on the commencement website.  A separate form will need to be submitted for each individual requesting services.  RU faculty and staff requesting services can contact Jerome Thomas jthomas6@radford.edu to request services for commencement-related events.

I am struggling to get closed captioned/English subtitled media in my course(s).  Can the DRO help me? 

If you are eligible to receive closed captions as an accommodation do not receive closed captioned media in the classroom, please contact Jerome Thomas, D/HOH coordinator at jthomas6@radford.edu.  We will work collaboratively with your instructors to ensure that you receive services.



Feb 26, 2014
Disability Resource Office
(540) 831-6350