Welcome Class of 2017!
The Honors Academy wishes all 74 Honors Academy freshmen a sincere welcome to Radford University and our community of Highlander Scholars. The next four years will prove to be quite an adventure for you, a bit scary at times, fun at other times. But most of all these adventures will be opportunities for you to grow. Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “A man’s growth is seen in the successive choirs of his friends.” So root your adventures in new circles of friends, classmates, suitemates, and professors. Get to know one another, work together, and support each other. Embrace the differences among you to expand your personal horizons. Be an active participant in your education: lead class discussions; participate in the wide variety of campus activities (including HASO); engage with your professors in the laboratory and studio. In short, serve as role models for what a great college education can be. You are our campus leaders and we are excited to witness your adventures in the coming years!
Outcomes of an Honors Education at Radford University:
As a result of the honors experience at Radford University the Highlander Scholar graduate should:
- Embrace challenging, novel situations that require creativity, critical thinking, and adaptability
- seek out situations that expand one's intellectual and interpersonal boundaries
- display an enthusiasm for learning
- integrate knowledge across disciplines
- seek experiences with persons whose ethnic, religious, or socioeconomic background is different from one's own
- Solve meaningful problems through research and creative activities
- participate in research/creative activities with faculty mentors
- produce their own research