The Honors Academy at Radford University exists in order to assist highly motivated and intellectually mature students in making the most of their education. At Radford University making the most of your education means interacting in an academic setting with not only your fellow students, but also working collaboratively with your professors. It also means developing leadership skills and an appreciation for other cultures. Finally, it means that the knowledge gained through all these endeavors does not remain as isolated experiences. Instead, honors students begin to see that there is continuity among all these sources of knowledge.
Eligibility for Honors
Admissions to Honors is space-limited. There are three ways to be eligible for applying to the Honors Academy:
- Outstanding high school students will be invited to apply (via letter from the RU Admissions office) to the Honors Academy if they meet at least two of the following three criteria:
- SAT/ACT 1100 SAT (combined V+Q) or 24 ACT
- High School GPA 3.5
- High School Class Rank Top 20 % of your graduation class
- A new freshman may earn an invitation to apply to the Honors Academy after one semester at RU by making at least a 3.5 GPA for that first semester's work. Invitations are sent out by email over the holiday break.
- Transfer students may also apply to join the Honors Academy. If you are interested, please contact the Honors Academy office (email@example.com)
Profile of Typical Honors Freshmen
Because the Honors Academy is space-limited, many students who meet the minimum critera for honors cannot be offered an opening. In past years, new freshmen who have been admitted to honors typically wrote a thoughtful application essay and had qualifications consistent with the following ranges:
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
|High School GPA||3.83||4.09|
|High School Rank||85||94|
Applying to Honors
High school seniors who meet the minimum eligibility criteria should receive an "invitation to apply" letter within a month after admission to the university. The priority deadline for honors applications from high school students is January 30th. The regular deadline is March 15th.
New freshmen who earn a 3.5 GPA during their first fall semester should receive an "invitation to apply" email over winter break. The deadline for these applications is usually during the first week of January.
If you believe that you are eligible to apply, but did not receive an invitation, please contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about the application portal.