Eligibility for Honors
Admissions to Honors is space-limited. There are three ways to be eligible for applying to the Honors Academy:
- Outstanding high school students will be invited to apply to the Honors Academy if they meet at least two of the following three criteria. Invitations are sent via email from the Radford University Admissions office. Application deadlines are typically in mid-March for high school students. If you believe that should have received an invitation, please contact email@example.com.
- SAT/ACT 1100 SAT (combined V+Q) or 24 ACT
- High School GPA 3.5
- High School Class Rank Top 20% of your graduation class
- A new Radford University freshman may earn an invitation to apply to the Honors Academy after one semester at Radford by making at least a 3.5 GPA for that fall semester. Invitations are sent out by email over the holiday break. Application deadlines are typically in early January for new freshmen.
- Transfer students may also apply to join the Honors Academy. If you are interested, please contact the Honors Academy office (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that the academic requirements of honors typically mean that the program is not feasible for those who will transfer more than 30-credit hours from their previous institution (these students have often met most of their Core Curriculum requirements). However, honors can be a good fit for students who are transferring from another honors program or for students who will be at Radford for at least three academic years. Application deadlines are typically in mid-March for transfer students. The honors program at Northern Virginia Community College and Radford University have developed a specific pathway for transferring between our two programs.
Profile of Typical Honors Freshmen
Because the Honors Academy is space-limited, many students who meet the minimum critera for honors cannot be offered an opening. In past years, new freshmen who have been admitted to honors typically wrote a thoughtful application essay and had qualifications consistent with the following ranges:
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
|High School GPA||3.83||4.09|
|High School Rank||85||94|
High school seniors who meet the minimum eligibility criteria should receive an "invitation to apply" email within a month after admission to the university. This letter includes a link to the application portal. The priority deadline for honors applications from high school students is typically in late January. The regular deadline is typically in mid-March.
New freshmen who earn a 3.5 GPA during their first fall semester should receive an "invitation to apply" email over winter break. This email includes the web address for the application portal. The deadline for these applications is typically in early January.
Transfer students interested in applying to honors should send inquiries to email@example.com. The director will assist you in determining whether you are eligible for honors and whether the program would fit your academic goals at Radford. The deadline for transfer applications is typically mid-March.
If you believe that you are eligible to apply, but did not receive an invitation, please contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about the application portal.