The Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) for Higher Education was established for employees of Virginia’s public colleges and universities who could benefit from the portability of a defined contribution plan and to assist institutions of higher education recruit faculty employees.
- Fidelity Investments and Tax-Exempt Services
1-800-343-0860 in Boston, Mass.
1-800-842-2776 in Charlottesville, Va.
- Virginia Retirement System
- Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) Handbook (PDF)
Eligible employees include:
- Full-time, part-time, salaried employees in teaching, admin/research positions who hold faculty rank
- The president of a participating institution of higher education
- The Chancellor of the Virginia Community College System
Company comparison sheets are distributed at orientation, and an annual Benefits Fair is held in the fall.