The Division of Information Technology strives to provide a robust and reliable network for the campus community. Several key components of this network include:
- Redundant Internet connections with automatic failover
- Packet Shapers to manage and efficiently allocate bandwidth
- 802.11n WiFI connectivity in all campus buildings
- A web based VPN for secure connections to campus resources
- A network access control system to ensure computers connecting to the network are safe
RU resources are available from any Internet connection. A list of local Internet Service Providers is available to help you in your selection of a connection for use when not on campus.
Network Access Control (Clean Access)
In order to protect the campus network from the serious security threats associated with viruses, worms, and malware, DoIT has installed a system called Network Access Control (NAC). NAC secures the network by making sure that all computers on the network meet the following conditions:
- The computer is up-to-date on all OS patches (for Windows Systems)
- The computer is running a known Antivirus program
- The Antivirus program is up-to-date with its virus detection signatures.
For more information on NAC, please see the Clean Access Knowledge Base article
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
The Radford University VPN creates a secure and encrypted network connection to the RU campus from the Internet. The VPN is required to connect to any sensitive systems such as Banner or the H drive from off campus. For more information about the VPN and how it is configured, please see the VPN Client Overview Knowledge Base article.
Note: The H drive may be accessed via the MyFiles tab on the MyRU portal (myru.radford.edu) without using the VPN.
Wireless Access (WiFi)
All of Radford University campus buildings have wireless access. It is recommended that all faculty, staff, and students use RUsecure when connecting to the wireless network. RUsecure will encrypt all data as it is transmitted to the wireless access point preventing any exposure of data. Wired connection are always recommended when available to provide a faster more reliable connection.