Apply Now

Applying to the LCI@RU is easy. Please select a program:

Young Hall

Young Hall

Intensive English Program


Enrollment in the Language and Culture Institute at Radford University (LCI@RU) Intensive English course series is open to prospective graduate and undergraduate students, community residents, and language students who are at least 17 years old. Younger students living with family members may also attend with the director's permission.

How to Apply

Step 1: Complete an online application and pay the application fee. The Intensive English Program application form must be filled in and submitted online.

Step 2: After you have submitted your application, you will see a link to "Upload your documents." You will need to submit:

  • Proof of financial support (required for overseas applications and F-1 transfers)
  • A photo or scan of the identification (photo) page of your passport
  • Financial guarantee information from your sponsor, if applicable

Step 3 (Transfers ONLY): Transfer students already at another school in the United States should supply a completed transfer form. Download the transfer form (PDF).

Your application will be considered once payment and all required supporting documents have been received.

Supporting documents may also be mailed to:

Language and Culture Institute at Radford University
English Language Program
P.O. Box 6927
Radford, VA  24142

Proof of Financial Support

New students applying from overseas and seeking a student (F-1) visa, or F-1 students transferring to the LCI@RU from other schools, must provide documents proving sufficient funds to cover tuition, living expenses, and health insurance for the period of study. This requirement may be satisfied as follows:

  1. A bank or brokerage statement in your name or in the name(s) of your parents. This statement must show sufficient U.S. dollar equivalent funds to support all expenses relating to your studies. If a parent's bank statement is used, the parent must provide a signed statement that these funds on deposit will be used to support your studies.
  2. A letter from a bank certified by a bank official stating that you or your parents have a bank balance sufficient to support your studies. This letter must show a minimum amount in U.S. dollar equivalent on deposit to support all expenses relating to your studies.
  3. A scholarship letter from an educational institution, or a government agency showing sufficient U.S. dollar equivalent funding to support all expenses relating to your studies.
  4. An affidavit of support from a relative or sponsor in the United States. This affidavit must show sufficient income and resources to support all expenses relating to your studies. A form I-134 Affidavit of Support is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration website.

A combination of the above methods is also acceptable.

Applying for a Student Visa

Prospective full-time students applying from countries outside the U.S. will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (Form I-20A/B). This form must be taken to an American consulate to obtain an F-1 student visa.

For information on applying for a student visa, see the Department of State website.

Prior to your visa interview appointment, you will need to need to pay a SEVIS I-901 Fee. The procedure for paying the SEVIS fee may be found at