University Police (RUPD)
The Radford University Police Department (RUPD) is a fully sworn, professional police department dedicated to protecting the students, faculty, staff and visitors of Radford University. The RUPD is located in the Allen Building on the corner of East Main Street and University Drive next to the bridge.
Crisis Intervention Team
Officers on the Crisis Intervention Team function as part of the regular police patrol but have received specialized training in psychiatric diagnosis, suicide intervention, legal training in mental health and substance abuse issues and local resources for those in a mental health crisis. Police officers are often the first responders in a crisis situation, so it is essential they know how mental illnesses can alter a person’s behavior and perception.
For your safety and as a way to offer additional interaction with
students, a police officer is assigned to each residence hall in the Adopt-a-Hall program. Their duty is to work with the residence hall staff to provide information, give presentations, answer students’ questions and perform security inspections.
Office of Emergency Preparedness
In 2007, the Office of Emergency Preparedness was established with an overarching goal of ensuring the safety and security of Radford University’s students, employees and campus visitors. Since its establishment, Radford University has implemented:
- Multiple alert notification system technologies
- A campus siren/public address system providing notification in the event of an emergency
- An enhanced web presence with an added alert notification link
- Emergency notifications through the university entertainment television system and campus-wide signage information display systems
There are many outdoor emergency telephones located on campus, linked directly to the University Police Department. Their locations include:
- The Lot Z at the Dedmon Center
- Inside the shelter area of Lot CC off University Drive
- At the control building near the baseball and softball fields
- At Preston & Young Hall area
- Lot B behind McConnell Hall (library)
- Lot S at Cook Hall
- Lot E on University Drive
- Armstrong Maintenance Complex building (Front Entrance)
- Lot FF off Stockton St.
- Lot I by Moffett Hall and in each of the four residential quads on the main campus
- Dedmon Center locker rooms