Art Professor's Paintings Bring Home Awards
Awards and accolades keep coming for Radford University Art Professor Zheng-Liang (Z.L.) Feng, who was recently honored with six of his watercolor paintings recognized at exhibitions and juried art shows throughout the nation.
Feng has served as a professor of art in the Department of Art since earning his Master of Fine Arts from Radford University in 1989. A native of Shanghai, China, Feng, who arrived in the United States in 1986, has been a prolific artist, as his watercolor paintings—portraits, landscapes and illustrations—have been included in juried exhibitions throughout the world, receiving more than 300 awards and top honors.
"With watercolor you cannot cover your mistakes," said the international award-winning artist. "So you must know what you are doing."
His most recent awards and national recognition include:
- A $1,000 award for his portrait "Ranch Foreman" from the Texas Watercolor Society's 2012 National Juried exhibition held in June at the San Antonio Art League and Museum in San Antonio.
- The Award of Distinction for his watercolor landscape painting "Morning Creek" at the 2012 Mainsail National Arts Show held in April in St. Petersburg, Fla., and sponsored by the St. Petersburg Art League.
- The Merit Award for his watercolor "Tibetan Monk" from the 2012 Georgia Watercolor Society's 2012 National Exhibition held in April-May at Arts Clayton Gallery in Jonesboro, Ga.
- The FASO award for his watercolor "Carlton" at the 2012 International Open Exhibition of the Northwest Watercolor Society held in May at the Seattle Design Center in Seattle, Wash.
- Second Place Award for his watercolor portrait "Ford Man" in the 2012 Virginia Watercolor Society Juried Exhibition held in April at the Charles H. Taylor Arts Center in Hampton.
- Honor Award for watercolor for his painting "Mechanic" at the Academic Artists Association 62nd National Exhibition of Contemporary Realism held in May at the American International College of Karen Sprague Culture Arts center in Springfield, Mass.
Feng's artwork can also be found in numerous private and corporate collections across the nation, including the Walt Disney Company, the Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. (USA), the Orlando International Airport, the Springfield Art Museum in Springfield, Mo., and in the permanent art collection of the Radford University Art Museum.