ATTR 425: Organization and Administration of Athletic Training Programs
Prerequisites: ATTR 325 or consent of instructor
Credit Hours: (3)
This course will provide an overview of the administrative concepts and organization of an athletic training program and health care facilities in a variety of settings including university, secondary school and clinical athletic training environments.
Detailed Description of Course
The topics in this course will include the following:
-theoretical basis of management;
-program management and evaluation;
-human resource management, including the staff selection, hiring and evaluation;
-budgeting and purchasing;
-facility design and management;
-information management, including the sports medicine records;
-reimbursement for health care services (insurance);
-legal considerations in athletic training and sports medicine; and
-ethical issue in sports medicine/ athletic training.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
This will be a lecture style course including role playing, simulation, case studies and group learning. Class/group projects will be a part of the class.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
A student who completes this course will be able to:
● Identify the components of a mission and vision statements used for program planning
● Describe program strategic planning strategies (eg: WOTS UP analysis)
● Identify federal and state regulations related to employment of personnel (e.g.: Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act)
● Describe the duties of a personnel manager
● List and explain the steps used for recruitment and hiring of employees
● Explain the role of state practice acts in the regulation of the athletic training profession
● Identify the strengths and weaknesses of various personnel evaluation procedures
● List and explain the components of the budgeting process
● Develop a budget, and provide a written justification for the budget presented.
● Describe the design principles required for a safe and efficient athletic training facility.
● Describe the various types of health insurance models (eg: HMOs, PPOs etc)
● Describe the basic concepts of third-party reimbursement
● Define and explain the basic legal concepts association with a medical practitioner’s responsibilities
● Describe the basic organizational principles of a drug testing and screening program.
● Develop a risk management plan for safe facility management
● Develop and write policies and procedures appropriate for an athletic training facility
● Describe current professional development requirements for athletic trainers
Students in this class may be graded on written exams, projects and class participation.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval