Exercise, Sport and Health Education 116
ESHE 116: Track and Field
Credit Hours: (1) Two contact hours per week. 15-week and 7.5-week courses are offered. 7.5-week courses may be blocked together for 2 credit hours.
Practice and study of sport and physical activity skills.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
2. Olympic games
3. Rules for the events
4. Sprinting form vs. long
7. Baton exchange
8. High jumping
9. Long jump
10. Javelin throw
11. Discus throw
12. Shot put
14. Tactics and strategy
15. Production and application of force
17. Safety factors
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
The class will be taught as follows:
- Demonstration and Film Loops
- Application to race situations or field situations
Goals and Objectives of the Course
1. A student should be able to demonstrate correct forms and techniques in the various events.
2. A student should understand the production of force for all events.
3. A student should understand the errors and corrections of these errors for all events.
4. A student should understand the rules of each event.
5. A student should be knowledgeable about the safety factors for the various events.
6. A student should be knowledgeable about the terminology and history of track and field.
A battery of skill tests and two written tests.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
September 2002 Reviewed Jon Poole