ESHE 121: Beginning Volleyball
Credit Hours: (1) Two contact hours per week. 15-week and 7.5-week courses are offered. 7.5-week courses may be blocked together for 2 credit hours
Practice and study of sport and physical activity skills.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
This course is designed to give students the knowledge and skills necessary to participate in the game of volleyball. Emphasis is placed on the basic skills of: passing, setting, serving, blocking, spiking and digging. Students will also practice the basic 4 - 2 offense and the 2 - 1 - 3 defense. The history of volleyball, rules of the game and safety guidelines will be stressed.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Goals and Objectives of the Course
1. The student shall demonstrate knowledge of the volleyball rules.
2. The student shall demonstrate knowledge of the basic 4 - 2 offense and the 2 - 1 - 3 defense.
3. The student shall demonstrate correct usage of the basic volleyball skills of passing, setting, serving, blocking, spiking and digging.
4. The student shall demonstrate knowledge of the safety rules of volleyball while participating in a game.
5. The student shall describe the history of volleyball.
6. The student shall demonstrate good sportsmanship while participating in a game of volleyball.
Evaluation techniques include a final written examination, a volleyball skills test, class participation and application of the skills and rules while participating in a volleyball game. Attendance at one intercollegiate volleyball match is encouraged, but not required.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
September 2002 Reviewed Jon Poole