ESHE 405: Personal Training
Prerequisites: ESHE 305 , ESHE 390 and ESHE 392, or ESHE 305 and ESHE 391, or permission of instructor; minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
Credit Hours: (3)
The course is designed to prepare the student to work as a personal trainer. Students will prepare business plans, create marketing materials and assessment tools, and create and deliver exercise programs. Emphasis is placed on developing the practical skills of a personal trainer.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
The course is designed to help students gain the practical skills of personal trainers. Each student will develop:
• Business plans and marketing material.
• Health assessment and stratification methods.
• Movement analysis skills.
• Health and physical fitness assessments skills.
• Exercise technique assessments.
• Exercise program creation and delivery.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Course information will be presented through a wide variety of teaching methods including, but not limited to: discussions, lab activities, and practical experiences in a fitness settings.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
By the end of the course students will be able to:
1. Perform a PARQ, medical history, and basic exercise screening tests.
2. Create a basic contract related to personal training services.
3. Perform musculoskeletal endurance, strength, power, agility, flexibility, and body composition testing.
4. Perform orthopedic movement analysis.
5. Evaluate exercise form on a variety of strength training, flexibility, agility, and cardiovascular exercises.
6. Compose specific exercise prescriptions based on client histories and physical examinations.
Assessments may include written exams, portfolio assignments, and/or presentations.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
April 2006 Reviewed by Beverly Zeakes