Special Education 655
EDSP 655: Braille Code
Prerequisites: EDSP 650
Credit Hours: (3)
Provides instruction in the development, use, and application of the Braille literary code and its implications for educational/literacy programs for students with visual disabilities. Students will develop the skills to read and write contracted and uncontracted Braille, while acquiring instructional methodologies for teaching children who are blind to read and write. Sources of Braille materials for educational purposes are identified.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
This course provides instruction in a fundamental literacy mode (Braille) that provides students with visual impairments access to the general education curriculum. An introduction to methodology for teaching Braille reading and writing of school-aged students as well as for special populations such as non-literary readers is included. This course will include the following topics:
· A variety of systems for producing Braille materials.
· A variety of systems for producing Braille materials Reading and writing uncontracted Braille
· Reading and writing contracted two Braille
· Methods for teaching Braille reading
· Methods for teaching Braille writing
· Assessment and key factors for determining who should receive Braille instruction
· Key factors for determining appropriate Braille curricula.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
This course is delivered on-line. Learning activities in this class will include the following:
1. Class lecture, discussion, and participation via synchronous face to face, web-conferences or videoconferences
2. Video and other relevant interactive media presentations
3. Study and independent research
4. Application activities, including regular assignments
5. Written responses to posted discussion questions posted on Blackboard.
6. In-depth study and work on course requirements which require significant outside class time.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
This course is part of the Virginia Department of Education approved licensure program in Visual Impairment and is offered through the Statewide Training Consortium in Visual Impairment.
Goals, objectives, and assignments in this class address NCATE Standard 1b Pedagogical Content Knowledge and Skills, and 1c Professional and Pedagogical Knowledge and Skills. The following CEC and VDOE standard areas are also addressed:
- CEC Knowledge and Skill Base for All Entry-Level Special Education Teachers of Students with Visual Impairment (VI) Standard #4: Instructional Strategies
- VI4K1 Strategies for teaching Braille reading and writing.
- VI4S2 Prepare adapted or modified materials in Braille . . . .
- VI4S3 Transcribe, proofread, and interline materials in Braille . . . .
- VI4S4 Use braillewriter, slate and stylus, and computer technology to produce Braille materials.
- VI4S5 Prepare individuals with visual impairments to access information and services from the community.
- Virginia Department of Education Teacher [VDOE]Licensure Standards
- Professional studies requirements in Reading
- Visual Impairment pre-K 12 requirements in Understanding of the Foundations of Braille Reading and Writing
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the history of the development of Braille.
2. Read and write uncontracted literary Braille.
3. Read and write contracted literary Braille.
4. Identify methods for teaching Braille reading.
5. Identify methods for teaching Braille writing.
6. Locate specific Braille materials for classroom use.
1. Mid-term and Final Exam
2. Weekly assignments in Braille including Braille transcription, Braille to print translation, proofreading a Braille passage for errors, and producing Braille in the correct format for educational purposes submitted until acceptable level of minimal error is achieved.
3. Weekly translation of Braille passages into print.
4. Development of a resource file of classroom and community resources
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
2/272009 New Course Elizabeth Altieri