Communication and Media Studies 223
COMS 223: Advertising Copywriting
Prerequisite: COMS 173 or permission of instructor
Credit Hours: (3) Three hours lecture and laboratory
Introductory course that exposes advertising students to various copywriting styles using a combination of lecture and laboratory exercises.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
Students will learn how to develop creative strategies for advertising campaigns. They will learn how to write advertising copy for all types of media. They will also learn how to prepare advertisements, including rough layouts and storyboards. Students will be given writing assignments to develop advertising for newspapers, magazines, direct mail, out-of-home radio and televisions. They will develop two complete advertising campaigns using multiple media. In addition, they will maintain an advertising example portfolio, which will include written critiques of the examples.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Students will be given writing assignments to develop advertising for newspapers, magazines, direct mail, out-of-home, radio and television. Students will develop two complete advertising campaigns using multiple media. In addition, they will maintain an advertising example portfolio, which will include written critiques of the examples.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
Student outcomes in this course include but are not limited to:
1) Enhancing ability to generate ideas individually and as part of a creative team.
2) Developing and improving their creative presentations skills.
3) Developing a copy platform/creative brief for a brand.
4) Understanding and using persuasive communication techniques.
5) Understanding of the role of research in advertising creativity and copywriting.
6) Writing different styles of headlines, subheads and body copy.
7) Understanding the relationship between advertising copy and layout.
8) Scripting a radio and developing a television storyboard.
9) Evaluating their work constructively.
Each of the above goals will be assessed with writing assignments made in each of the areas as described above.
Other Course Information
Burton, P. (1977). Advertising Copywriting, 7th ed. NTC Publishing Group. ISBN: 0844232068
Sullivan, L. (2203). Hey Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads, 2nd ed. Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0471281395
Bly, R. (1990). The Copywriters Handbook. Henry Hoit & Co. ISBN: 0805011943
Dzamic, L. and Designers and Art Directors Association. (2000). Copy Writer's Bible. RotoVision SA. ISBN: 2880465931
Bly, R. (2003). The Online Copywriter's Handbook. (2003). McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 0658020994
Review and Approval
DATE ACTION APPROVED BY