COMS 482: Production Technology Portfolio
Prerequisites: COMS 130, 146, 246, 346, 347, and 446, and COMS 230, or permission of instructor
Credit Hours: (3)Four hours of lecture and lab
Note: May be repeated, but no more than 9 hours of COMS 450 and/or 482 may be taken for credit.
Provides specific, directed activity for completion and evaluation of portfolio and resume material for advanced students in Production Technology.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
Students apply theories and techniques learned in prerequisite courses to produce radio, television, print or web portfolios.
Detailed Description of the Conduct of Course
Portfolio workshops are administrated and managed by faculty within the University. Depending on the size of the class, portfolios will have a variety of formats. All portfolio submissions will have major practical components built into them, and provide an opportunity for students to take on organizational roles and to publish or broadcast their creative products through real world media outlets. In most cases, students will receive feedback about their work from media professionals in their field, who will be brought into the university to evaluate their work.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
1. To provide hands-on experience for production technology students
2. To prepare students for real world working environments
3. To introduce students to future employers in managerial positions
4. To provide outside evaluation of products by media professionals
5. To encourage cooperative team efforts in which leadership is exercised
6. To develop portfolios of students' work in preparation for job searches
Portfolio submissions will be administered on a contractual basis. Grades will be based on the completion of given number of assignments. Some students may be given leadership roles and evaluated according to the completion of designated tasks.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
DATE ACTION REVIEWED BY
October 2005 Clayland Waite, Acting Chair