Information Technology 352
1. Catalog Entry
Credit hours (3)
Prerequisite: ITEC 220 with a grade of “C” or better
Prerequisite or Corequisite: ITEC 122 with a grade of “C” or better
Covers relationships among computer components, structures and systems, hardware features, costs, and capabilities.
2. Detailed Description of Course
1) Digital Logic
2) Data Representation and arithmetic
3) Instruction Set Architecture and assembly programming
4) Compilation, assembly, and pipelining
5) Memory and peripherals
6) System software
7) Error detection and correction
3. Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
The focus of this course is to understand low-level programming and hardware components. Students are given an opportunity to perform experiments with hardware kits.
4. Goals and Objectives of the Course
Students who complete the course will be able to:
1) Perform fixed and floating point arithmetic of positive and negative numbers represented in various standard representations such as the
IEEE 754 floating point format.
2) Develop, simplify, and analyze simple digital circuits to develop the ALU and Memory (combinational and sequential circuits) using both the basic
gates such as AND, OR, NOT, NAND, and NOR as well as other building blocks such as Multiplexers, Decoders, and Flip-flops.
3) Implement programs in assembly language. Example programs include computing arithmetic operations and simulating simple control structures
such as if-else and while and for loops.
4) Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between computer languages and the machines they run on, by converting assembly code into
object (machine) code by following the steps of an assembler.
5) Explain the working, analyze the pros and cons, and compute the performance of various components: multi-level caches, virtual memory, and
5. Assessment Measures
Graded assignments typically include at least one in-class exam and a final exam. Frequent problem sets are also assigned and graded. A hardware project may also be required.
6. Other Course Information
Review and Approval