ART 100: Art Appreciation
Credit Hours: (3)
An introduction to the visual arts designed to develop students’ visual awareness.
Note(s): This course has been approved for Core Curriculum credit in Visual and Performing Arts.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
The purpose of this course is to expand the student's awareness and appreciation of art in historical and practical terms. Through the use of a variety of historical references and artistic materials, the student will become familiar with artistic motivation and visual expression.
1. References to visual experiences and "hands on" visual problems.
2. Historic and cultural references to various styles of visual art and artistic movements.
3. Practical experience and discussion of various artistic materials.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
A lecture and "hands on" approach to art.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon completion of the course requirements, the student will be able to:
1. Verbalize the visual choices artists make in creating artwork.
2. Verbalize the content of artwork.
Graded assignments may include in-class tests, a final examination, visual problems and class participation.
Other Course Information
The instructor may assign gallery visits and written critiques of various styles of art.
Review and Approval
October 2, 2012
March 25, 2005 Review by Steve Arbury, Chair