Fashion Design 350
DSNF 350: History of Fashion I
Prerequisites: 2.5 in-major GPA; or permission of instructor
Credit Hours: (3)
A study of the history of fashion as it relates to the development of western dress from 1880 to the present. Fashion will be viewed within the historical, social and cultural environment of the time. Special attention will be given to notable fashion designers for this time period.
Detailed Description of Course
This course is a study of the evolution of western dress and fashion from the 1880’s to the present. The student will be exposed to style characteristics of fashion from specific periods in time and connections between the social and cultural changes. Special attention will be given to notable fashion designers for this time period.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Course material is presented through an illustrated lecture approach. Informal and formal writing and reading assignments are used to help students grasp the material as well as explore in depth special areas of interest.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will demonstrate:
1. Recognition of historical research techniques.
2. Recognition of fashion styles and characteristics for a specific period of time.
3. Ability to interpret fashion styles and characteristics for a specific period of time.
4. Understanding of how conditions (economic, political, social, and technological) of the times influence fashion.
5. Understanding of the historical continuity of fashion.
6. Understanding of the style characteristics and social impact of specific fashion designers.
Measures the student’s ability to recognize major historical styles in fashion and accessories, and to understand the cultural context within which they developed will be assessed through examination. A series of research assignments will assess the student’s understanding of the stylistic elements of a specific historical period and the cultural influences that gave rise to that style, and will evaluate the student’s ability to effectively apply those stylistic elements in a new context. Quizzes and exams based on readings and lectures will assess students’ knowledge of course content.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval