DSNF 400: Senior Studio I
Prerequisites: DSNF 305, DSN 307, DSN 355; 2.5 in-major GPA, passing Professional Skills Review
Credit Hours: (3) Six hours studio
Implementation of target market and fashion trend information to develop and present an apparel line concept.
Detailed Description of Course
In this course the student will develop an original apparel line. Topics include: target market, aesthetics, and trend analysis applications to apparel line development.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Students will present, discuss, analyze and critique design problems and solutions. In studio, the student will apply target market and fashion trend information to apparel line development.
Student Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will:
Demonstrate understanding of:
1. Design realization from concept to first muslin.
2. Self-directed design problem solving.
3. Final design solutions that reflect excellence gained from the cumulative learning process of their fashion design program of study.
4. Target market and fashion trend information applications.
5. Human factors related to garment structure, function, and aesthetics.
Demonstrate comprehension of:
6. Design process documentation, justification, and implementation, including design revision based on critique, constructive criticism, and self-reflection.
7. Aesthetic vision expression and refinement.
8. Presentation format functional and aesthetic drivers.
9. Use of color in fashion applications.
Studio assignments, exercises and critiques will assess the students’ knowledge of the human form and garment fit and their ability to apply the problem solving process. Written and oral critiques, preliminary design ideas, craftsmanship and concept development comprise an integral part of the evaluation criteria for all projects.
Other Course Information
Outcome may include:
Senior apparel line (3-4 groups of 3-5 ensembles each, total of 12-15 ensembles) (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9)
Design process documentation (2, 4, 6, 7)
First muslins (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7)
Portfolio / Line presentation (2, 3, 4, 7, 8)
Design competition submission (such as AATCC Concept to Consumer Apparel Design Competition) (2, 3, 4, 7, 8)
Review and Approval
June 4, 2012