Fashion Design 404
DSNF 404: Apparel Production
Prerequisites: DSNF 305, DSNF 307, DSNF 355; 2.5 in-major GPA; passing Professional Skills Review
Credit Hours: (3) Six hours studio
Exploration in problem solving and implementation for apparel line production.
Detailed Description of Course
In this course the student will develop and produce an original apparel line. Topics include: aesthetics, specification package, production techniques, design and fabrication concerns, labeling requirements.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Teams will present, discuss, analyze and critique design problems and solutions. In studio, the student will investigate solutions and construct an original apparel line.
Student Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will:
Demonstrate understanding of:
1. Design realization from first muslin to finished garment.
2. Self-directed design problem solving.
3. Final design solutions that reflect excellence gained from the cumulative learning process of their fashion design program of study.
Demonstrate comprehension of:
4. Apparel pre-preproduction and production processes, documentation, and implementation.
5. Body interaction with garment structure, function, and aesthetics, including fitting devices use and evaluation.
6. Design process documentation, justification, and implementation, including design revision based on critique, constructive criticism, and self-reflection.
7. Use of color in application in fashion applications.
8. Effective time and project management.
Studio assignments, exercises and critiques will assess the students’ knowledge of the human form and garment fit and their ability to apply the problem solving process. Written and oral critiques, preliminary design ideas, problem solving exercises, craftsmanship and concept development comprise an integral part of the evaluation criteria for all projects.
Other Course Information
Outcomes may include:
a. Design process journal and critique notes
b. Problem solving exercises including apparel design matrix
c. Mock-ups (first muslin completed in DSNF 400)
d. Fashion fabric proofs
e. Specification packets to include flats and order of operations for 3 ensembles to be produced
f. Finished ensembles and production ready patterns
Review and Approval
June 4, 2012