Student Government Association
November 14, 2011
Call to Order
Approval of the Minutes – approved
Gallery Addresses the Body
- Karen Matheny about the Collegiate Readership Program –USA Today – Basically, she proposed that Radford agree to a 4-week trial of having different major newspapers at a discounted price available on campus to see how students respond in order for RU to join the program. The university would only be charged for papers that students pick up.
President’s Report - Lee Hicks
- President Hicks is resigning for medical reasons effective at the end of this meeting – more in New Business
Executive Vice President’s Report - Emily Redd
- Forum – The Parking Committee meeting right after this meeting. A sign-up sheet was passed around for those who can conduct a table with surveys in the afternoons concerning the forum.
Legislative Vice President’s Report - Justin Blankenship
- More on the Constitution Committee to come
Vice President of Student Finance’s Report - Nicole Munsey
- No report
Chief of Staff’s Report - Randi-Lyn Randall
- Secret Santa – slips of paper were passed out for those wishing to participate. Place the completed forms in Chief of Staff Randall’s mailbox.
- Open Positions for Next Year
- Survey Results – please get all survey results to Chief of Staff Randall asap for the accurate composure of the budget
- Graduate Council Budget – please let Chief of Staff Randall know if you have any objections to the expulsion of the Graduate Council Budget – due to there being no graduate council.
- The budget is currently $19,000.
- Senator Lawrence
- Internship Awareness Event Update – Nov. 30th in the Bonnie Auditorium at 7 p.m. This is a MANDATORY event. The political science department has aided with funds for table tents to inform the student body.
Cabinet and Staff Reports
- Coordinator Kennedy
- Homecoming – There is a question as to whether or not there will be a homecoming court this year.
- Coordinator Hammond
- Relay for Life – This is a MANDATORY event. Please register ahead of time on the Relay for Life website. It will be $10 per person.
- Homecoming Dance – February 24th from 9 p.m. - 1 a.m. in Muse will be the Homecoming Dance.
- T-shirts – It was asked how many would be interested in getting an SGA T-shirt if they were made up. There was a positive response.
- Parliamentarian Puddy
- Thanksgiving Luncheon – was canceled.
- Coordinator McCage
- School Spirit meetings are every Tuesday at 6 upstairs in the Bonnie.
- Vote on Post Secret – $1,000 to have Frank Warren, creator of Post Secret, as a speaker – passed
- Coordinator Kennedy
- Co-sponsorship of Hidden Voices – $625 – A proposal was passed around about having Faisal Alam as a speaker on homosexuality and the Islamic religion. – tabled until next week
- Suspend Robert’s Rules of Order
- Senate Vote on the President’s Replacement – Vice President Redd will fill the position of President.
- Reinstatement of Robert’s Rules
- There will be an email sent out concerning a campus clean up led by Senator Bartholomew.
- Contact Senator Midkiff if you are interested in participating with the USA Today Program.
- There will be a going away party for President Hick’s at 5:00 on Wednesday in the Office.
Adjournment – 6:42 p.m.