Student Government Association
November 28, 2011
Call to Order – 5:03 p.m.
Approval of the Minutes -approved
Gallery Addresses the Body – none
President’s Report - Emily Redd
- Commencement Meeting
- Marshals – if interested in being a marshal for Graduation (December 17th, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Ceremonies) contact President Redd (email@example.com)
- Ballroom – any interest in fielding research for the creation of a Ballroom type space (to promote
- QEP – Quality Enhancement Plan Representative – Preferably a freshman or sophomore – is needed to fill the position. QEP is for the 10 year check of the University to ensure accreditation. The QEP Committee meets for about an hour every 1-2 weeks. Contact President Redd if interested.
- Homecoming Court Vote – we will vote internally next week on whether or not our organization would like to continue with a Homecoming Court.
- Forum – new people have accepted the invitation to speak on the board for the parking forum this week. The last committee meeting will be after this meeting.
- Chain of Command – Emails: SGA List-serve is open to anyone in SGA for SGA-specific issues. Any emails for the whole student body should be sent to Chief of Staff Randall (for Cab/Staff Members) or VP Blankenship (for Senators) for approval.
- Retreat – President Redd will begin planning the retreat for the Spring semester. More to come.
- Upcoming Meetings – RHA, Ken Bonk, Dean Appiarius, Dr. Shanley
Legislative Vice President’s Report - Justin Blankenship
- Constitution Committee – productive meeting last week. An email will be sent out concerning this week’s meeting.
- Elections – An election will be held at the beginning of next semester to elect new EVP, Senior Class Senator, and Freshman Class Senator. Not for election are the positions of Secretary and Communications Assistant (contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in changing positions or if you know anyone who would be interested).
- Student Appreciation Day – Pizza in exchange for survey responses – will be held early next semester in the Bonnie.
Vice President of Student Finance’s Report - Nicole Munsey
- No report
Chief of Staff’s Report - Randi-Lyn Randall
- Secret Santa – we will choose gift partners after this meeting. Have your gift in the office under the tree by December 7th. The Hideous Christmas Sweater Party will be at Coordinator McCoy’s place on December 8th at 7 p.m.. Bring your own food/drinks and some to share if you’d like.
- Spring Conference – March 2-4 in NYC. Limited space. Applications will be available soon.
- Senator Massie
- Graduation Cords – cords for graduation must be ordered soon. The ordering of them must be approved by ken Bonk. A PPR form is being filled out.
- Senator Midkiff
- Committee on RU’s Budget/Potential Forum on Budgetary Concerns – if interested, Contact Senator Midkiff (email@example.com).
- USA Today Trial for Spring Semester – trying to get the ball rolling with the USA Today Program. If anyone is interested in helping, contact Senator Midkiff.
- Big Block of Cheese Activity (for Lee) – proposed that we continue the activity even though Lee is no longer here. Senator Midkiff volunteered to take over and oversee this.
Cabinet and Staff Reports
- Coordinator Hammond
- Relay for Life – don’t forget to register for Relay for Life ASAP.
- SGA Shirts – Give any ideas for a t-shirt design to Coordinator Hammond (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- OCC Shoeboxes – email Coordinator Hammond if you are interested in participating and have them done and in the office by Thursday afternoon.
- Senator Lawrence
- Res Life’s Winter Wonderland will be in Peter’s Gym – contact Senator Lawrence with any questions (email@example.com)
- Coordinator Kennedy’s proposal for the Co-sponsorship of Hidden Voices -$625 – moved, seconded, and PASSED
- Suspend Robert’s Rules – suspended
- Coordinator McCoy
- Proposing up to $2,000 for Advocacy Day Funding – moved, seconded, and PASSED
- Coordinator McCage
- Proposal for $90 for Pizza for the Tailgating Event – Dedmon Center 4 p.m. on December 10th – Men’s Basketball vs. George Mason – moved, seconded, and PASSED
- Senator Massie
- Proposal for up to $600 for Graduation cords – moved, seconded, PASSED
- Reinstate Robert’s Rules – reinstated
- Chief of Staff Randall
- Proposal for Money for Spring Conference – Up to $4,000 – tabled until next week
- Homecoming Court Vote – we will vote next week – tabled until next week
- It’s Justin’s Birthday!
- The university is in search of a new Director of Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Kaitlyn Haddock will be graduating this December.
- Helpers are needed to hand out flyers for Senator Lawrence’s forum. A sheet was passed around for those available.
- Keep bringing food in for the Greek Life Food Drive!
Adjournment – 5:46 p.m.