October 31, 2011
Student Government Association
October 31, 2011
Call to Order – 5:03 p.m.
Approval of the Minutes
Gallery Addresses the Body
- Mac’s Announcement – Senator Testerman has officially resigned as Senior Class Senator. Brian Massie has been appointed to replace him.
President’s Report - Lee Hicks
- Attended the Gala this past weekend with President Kyle and Coordinator McCoy representing Radford.
Executive Vice President’s Report - Emily Redd
- Dining Services Committee – Dining Services’ contract is up this year, therefore, we will be attending meetings to place input on behalf of the student body. There will be several places added, including a café in the new Cobe Building as well as a replacement for Salsarita’s. This is to have cheaper, healthier food for students and to make students’ food money last longer. Contract negotiations are taking place tomorrow, so if there are any points of concern please contact Coordinator McCoy or Dean Appiarius (firstname.lastname@example.org) ASAP!
- Forum – The Parking Committee will be meeting again after tonight’s meeting to further discuss the parking issues with all involved. There will be more information about a meeting during the day sent out sometime next week.
Legislative Vice President’s Report - Justin Blankenship
Constitution Committee – an email will be sent out next week after Election Day concerning a definite meeting time for the Committee.
Vice President of Student Finance’s Report - Nicole Munsey
- No Report
Chief of Staff’s Report - Randi-Lyn Randall
- No report
- Senator Lawrence – Instead of a Mandatory Internship Committee, he will be raising Internship Awareness. There will be a forum and a small reception – which he is requesting $150 to fund. John Edwards and Greg Abbeb have been invited. It was proposed that Career Services and the Business department be invited as well. It will tentatively be held on Wednesday, November 30th at 7pm in the Bonnie Auditorium.
- $150 for Forum – moved to New Business
- Senator Dorr
- RU EMS – Big Block of Cheese Month – met with RU EMS and found that the club has received little representation. He handed out information about the club, financial needs, and other wishes of the club. He has asked for help proposing getting funds for new digital radios and pagers for the club.
- Senator Midkiff
- Tuition Committee Update – There will be a meeting Thursday at 5pm in the SGA Office to approve Senator Midkiff’s motion.
- Last Week’s Candidate Forum – thanks to everyone who came, it was a very successful event.
Cabinet and Staff Reports
- Director Kennedy
- Academic Policies and Procedures Committee – changes in policy and regulations from last year were discussed.
- Senator Blumberg
- Vote on Demonstration Areas/Student Expression Policy Changes/Additions – will be voted upon after the forum
- Suspend Robert’s Rules – suspended
- Senate Appointment – Senior, Brian Massie
- Reinstate Robert’s Rules – reinstated
- Senator Lawrence’s Proposal
- Eat the cookies in the office.
- Give Advocacy Day applications to Coordinator McCoy.
- There will be another Pets for Pets Event next semester.
- Questions for What Do You Want Wednesday?
- Thanksgiving Luncheon – Date TBA – Sign-up sheet was passed around for those who would like to join the committee. A sign-up sheet will be placed in the SGA Office for members to state what they will be bringing to the Luncheon. Also, please bring $2 to the next meeting to pay for plates, cups, decorations, etc.
- The Free Speech Forum will be Thursday, November 3rd, in the Bonnie Auditorium.
Adjournment – 5:35 p.m.