Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Advising Center Mission Statement
Academic advising is essential to the well-being of students and provides help in establishing realistic goals and meeting the academic needs of students.
The mission of academic advising in the Waldron College of Health and Human Services is to provide academic support to students pursuing their undergraduate degree by providing information and appropriate referrals related to degree programs, career goals, and life goals. This mission is accomplished by offering accurate and timely information on academic requirements, policies and procedures, and career choices. Academic Advising is more than just selecting courses and registering for classes; academic advising is vital to student success.
Students who are Pre-social work, Pre-nursing and Pre-communication sciences and disorders are advised in the Advising Center. Students in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Nursing, and Social Work are assigned a faculty advisor in their department, with the Advising Center staff serving as secondary advisors.
Students may walk in and ask for assistance, but scheduling appointments is better for students and advisors. The primary purpose of the Center is to provide academic advising and academic support for students, act as a referral agent, and provide support to faculty academic advisors.
Students who visit the Center for assistance will find:
- coherent and consistent academic advising;
- assistance for new transfer students,
- answers to questions regarding university policies and procedures, program requirements, program policies, etc.
- assistance based on situational problems, and
- staff who are concerned about student success.
Visit the Advising Center and/or your faculty advisor often -- get to know your advisor as a person and get the assistance that you need to be a successful college student.
You may visit the Advising Center in 351 Waldron Hall, call us at 540-831-7699 or by e-mail.