How do I apply for admission to the undergraduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders at Radford University?

You can apply for undergraduate admission online through the Office of Admissions.

How do I apply for admission to the graduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders at Radford University?

All applications are now submitted and processed through CSDCAS. Prospective graduate students should complete procedures for graduate student admission through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies. Note that COSD applicants are required to

  • Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 overall, and 3.0 in all major core courses.
  • Submit a one- to two-page, type-written essay which outlines the student’s personal and professional goals for pursing a graduate degree at Radford University.
  • Supply three letters of reference from faculty members, academic advisers, and/or clinical supervisors who are familiar with the student’s potential for academic success in a challenging and rigorous advanced program of study.
  • Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
  • Submit Supplemental CSDCAS Application and $50 fee.

How many students are in the undergraduate and graduate programs?

Our undergraduate program typically serves between 60-75 juniors and seniors. Our graduate program is limited to approximately 21-30 students in each new class.

Where is the program located?

The department is located in Waldron Hall. Find Waldron Hall on the location map.

Can I get a Master’s degree in Speech-Language pathology if I don’t have an undergraduate degree in SLP or COSD?

Yes. Many students switch majors and careers when they decide to study speech-language pathology. Students who have not earned an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders must complete supporting undergraduate coursework in addition to the required Graduate Core Courses. Students have two options for completing supporting courses:

  • complete supporting courses as a non-degree seeking student before applying to the Graduate Program.


  • complete supporting courses after admission to the Graduate Program. In this case, all supporting courses will appear on the official transcript and will be calculated in the overall graduate grade point average

How long does the graduate program take to complete?

For students who have an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, the program, which starts in the fall, typically takes five semesters. Students’ academic programs are planned with a faculty advisor, and may take longer depending on individual circumstances.

For students who do not have an undergraduate degree in the major, the program typically takes seven semesters.

Will I need a computer?

Yes! The university doesn’t require students to have computers, but the entire RU campus is wireless, and class information is routinely communicated electronically. Although students have access to computers in the Harvey Center in Waldron Hall and other labs on campus, having a personal computer allows students more flexibility for when and where they can do their work.

See the information about recommended computer specifications and purchase on the Division of Information Technology website

Do I need a laptop computer?

A laptop is not required, but many students use their laptops to take notes in classes and complete assignments while they are on campus.

Graduate students find that having a laptop is especially convenient because of the needs to complete clinical paperwork. Client files cannot be taken outside of the clinic or into the resource center because they are confidential records.

What types of technology will be available for me to use at Radford University?

Students in the Waldron College have access to the George Harvey Technology Center. 

COSD’s  Speech Science Laboratory houses a new digital videostroboscopy system complete with the latest KIPS, model 9181 laryngeal imaging software. The facility also includes a comprehensive acoustics workstation for the investigation of speech production and perception.  Computer-based, multimedia applications are also available for supplemental instruction. The Electrophysiology Laboratory includes a sophisticated brain mapping system that supports research interests in areas of musical perception, speech perception, autism spectrum disorder, and cognitive processing models.

What clinical experiences do students get in the Radford University COSD graduate program?

In the first three semesters of our graduate program, students are given clinical assignments in the RU Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic on campus in Waldron Hall. Students are usually assigned from two to four patients each semester depending upon case complexity and the student's clinical experience. All clinical assignments are supervised by fully certified and licensed faculty supervisors.

Students are also assigned to Audiology Clinic during their first year. Our clinic houses seventeen therapy and observation suites. Students’ practicum can be observed through one-way mirrors or via digital television signals on faculty supervisors' computers. Students may also participate in community screenings both on and off campus.

In the second year of the program, students are assigned to clinical practicum externships at off-campus sites. The department holds affiliations with over 150 externship sites.

Will I have a problem completing the clock hours during my graduate program?

Working closely with your academic advisor and the speech-language pathology clinic director, you will have ample opportunities to exceed the minimal number of clock-hours (400) as required by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

What fun things are there to do in the area?

Southwest Virginia is among the nation's leading areas for outdoor recreational activities. Hiking, camping, canoeing, mountain biking, horseback riding, swimming, fishing/hunting, caving, skiing, and birding are just a few of the many activities available in the immediate area. If you're into athletic events, then this is one of the best places in the county to catch nationally ranked teams including our Men's Rugby Team (national champions)! Other things that make this area fun are the many restaurants, concerts, sporting events (e.g., NASCAR), and lecture series.

Who can I contact for additional information about the Communication Sciences and Disorders major at RU?