Overview: The Clinical Simulation Center (CSC) is designed to provide the student with the opportunity to practice skills and problem solving in a simulated healthcare environment. The centers will provide the equipment and the resources to facilitate the student’s acquisition of competence with the skills to care for patients in the clinical setting.
Clinical Simulation Sessions: Students in a professional nursing program must function within the legal, moral, and ethical standards of the profession. The ability to utilize the nursing process is the major focus of the clinical simulation center. Therefore, each student must adhere to the following guidelines for your clinical simulation preparation and performance.
1. Attendance: Clinical simulation experiences are offered at specific times. Students are expected to be on time. NOTE: If you are late you will be sent home and your instructor notified. This is considered a missed clinical experience
2. Dress Code: The clinical simulation center adheres to your School of Nursing (SON) specific clinical site dress code - dress as if you were going to the hospital for a clinical rotation. NOTE: If you do not follow your SON dress code you will be sent home and your instructor notified. This will be considered a missed clinical experience.
3. Required Equipment: Stethoscope, penlight, bandage scissors, pen with black ink, and watch with second hand.
4. Personal Items:
a. There is no secure area to store personal items. b. Cell phones and pagers may not be used in the clinical simulation setting. Leave them at home/in automobile or turned off during your time in the center.
5. Prior to coming to the CSC: Review materials sent to you by your SON clinical instructor.
- Review clinical disease process(s)
- Medication administration literature specific to simulation-patient medication list.
- Review procedures for simulation-patient specific nursing interventions.
- Prepare for CSC session as you would for a hospital clinical experience.
- COMPLETE ADMISSION TICKET for each scenario.NOTE: If you do not bring completed admission tickets with you for your scheduled simulation experience you will be sent home and your instructor notified. This is considered a missed clinical experience.
6. Food and drink are not allowed in the CSC patient care areas.
7. CSC patient information is considered confidential and patient cases cannot be discussed outside the CSC clinical environment.
8. The CSC process includes audio-videotaping of the simulation activity. These video recordings may be used for follow-up instruction, orientation to the simulated environment, CSC tours and seminars.
By signing below, I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above expectations and agree to abide by the terms of this Agreement.
Revised May 2014