Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
No full time positions currently available.
Standardized Patient Opportunities
Are you interested in becoming a Standardized Patient(SP)?
If so, the RU Clinical Simulation Centers have a great opportunity for you. Read the information below to see if you are interested in participating in the training of our future medical professionals.
An SP is a person carefully recruited and trained to take on the characteristics of a real patient or patient's family member, presenting a faculty defined clinical scenario with patient history and physical or behavioral symptoms. The SP then interacts in the clinical encounter with the student learner. The word 'standardized' means that the SP repeats his or her story in a consistent manner to numerous students.
During an interaction with a student, the SP may:
- Present case history in response to student questioning
- Undergo a limited physical examination at the student's direction
- Assist students in developing their communication skills and clinical skills
- Assist students in working through difficult emotional situations
What characteristics are we looking for in SPs?
A person who is interested in students and in learning, who are excellent listeners, and who can focus on the educational goals of the session make a good SP. It is also important to have a flexible schedule.
Qualifications and pay rate:
- For adults: A minimum high school graduate or graduate equivalence
- For minors: Parent/guardian approval
- Pay rate: $15-20/hour
How do I apply?
Submit an Application online at Radford University’s jobs website.
- Click on “Search Postings” in the left column.
- Look for “Standardized Patient/Patient Actor” in the Working Title column, and then click “View” to view the position’s information.
- To apply, click the “APPLY FOR THIS POSTING” button.
If you have applied for Virginia state positions before, you will already have a user account; you may login using your user name and password to login and apply. If you are a new applicant, then click on the “Fill out a new Application” link under the “New Applicant” section.
Continue until the application process is complete.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact either Administrator at the Radford or Roanoke sites:
Jacki Muir, CSC-RU West, Radford, 540-831-7175
Roy Baugher, CSC-RHEC, Roanoke, 540-767-6156
NOTE: If selected for an interview you may be required to complete a Criminal History Request form prior to beginning employment. Standardized Patient positions will not exceed 19 hours per work week. Positions are on an as-needed basis with no guarantee of continuing employment. Selected applicants must complete the Department of Homeland Security Verification of Employment Eligibility.
Radford University is an EEO. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.