Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
**PLEASE NOTE: There is a mandatory orientation for all standard program students on August 19, 2017.
There is a mandatory field placement meeting for all advanced standing and standard students on August 19, 2017.
The School of Social Work established the following minimum criteria as required of all applicants seeking admission into the Master of Social Work program. Applicants are also encouraged to refer to the College of Graduate Studies & Research application materials for additional criteria set forth by the College of Graduate Studies & Research of the University.
- A baccalaureate degree earned at an accredited institution.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.75 (undergraduate degree).
- Evidence of a liberal arts background to include at least 15 credit hours in social sciences, 9 hours of humanities, and 3 hours of biology content and 1 hour of lab.
- Course credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.
- Previous experience in the field of human services as an employee, student, and/or volunteer is strongly recommended.
- Evidence of interest, ability, motivation, and potential for professional social work practice on an advanced level as demonstrated by three letters of recommendation and a personal essay.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of upper division coursework.
Advanced Standing Program
The Advanced Standing program is an accelerated curriculum option available to highly qualified graduates of baccalaureate social work programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Consideration is given only to those social work graduates with superior academic standing and exceptional references who show evidence of mastery of the foundation curriculum.
Applicants seeking Advanced Standing admission must meet all the admissions criteria required for standard admissions. In addition, Advanced Standing applicants must:
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education within 7 years of application.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate coursework.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all undergraduate social work coursework.
It is recommended that applicants seeking Advanced Standing admission ask their senior year field instructor to serve as one of the three required references.
If available, Advanced Standing applicants should submit with the application a copy of the evaluation of their senior year field placement.