NURS 650: Evidence for Advanced Nursing Practice
Prerequisites: NURS 702; Undergraduate Nursing Research; Undergraduate Statistics.
Cross-Listed: NURS 800Brief Description of Course: In depth examination of the process of developing evidence-based advanced nursing practice.
Credit Hours: (3)
Detailed Description of Content of the Course
1. Nursing and the role of research
- Historical evolution of nursing research
- Nursing research in advanced practice
- Utilizing technology
2. Overview of the research process
3. Research Ethics
4. Selecting and defining a nursing research problem
5. Locating the evidence for practice
6. Theories, conceptual models in nursing, and state of the discipline in framing research
7. Writing a research proposal
- Overview of proposal preparation
- Institutional Review Board approval
- Sources of funding for nursing research
8. Communicating the research problem
9. Selecting a design
10. Sampling techniques
12. Analysis of data
13. Research Utilization
- Dissemination of findings
- Using research in nursing practice
- Policy implications
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
This online course may include but is not limited to seminar discussions (faculty and student led), lectures, guest speakers, case studies, and written projects and other teaching-learning strategies as appropriate. Because the course is online, audio or video presentations/lectures, discussion boards, chat rooms, and other instructional technology strategies may be used.
Goals and Objectives of this Course
By the end of the course the student will be able to:
1. Examine the role of research in establishing a scientific base for the practice of advanced nursing.
2. Explain the components of the research process.
3. Analyze the interrelationships among the components of the research process.
4. Incorporate the use of theory or conceptual models in defining research problems.
5. Discuss the relationship of research designs to types of research problems.
6. Analyze ethical issues related to nursing research.
7. Critique research at a level necessary to utilize research outcomes in advanced nursing practice.
8. Generate a research proposal as specified in course guidelines
May include but are not limited to: testing, class participation, papers or proposals, critiques, abstracts, and presentations.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
Approved: April 2010